The Independent Baptist Church was founded in November of 1948 as an outgrowth from the liberalization and departure (apostasy) from Biblical norms in the Northern Baptist Convention. Its charter and founding membership of 23 members purposed to adhere to the Biblical values and standards for the churchʼs members.
The Church was incorporated as a religious non-profit incorporation in 1948, and property was bought the next spring at the present site south of the village of Indian Lake on Route 30. The church building was erected slowly in the first half of the 1950s as they could afford it with local help and volunteers. Additonal property was added in the 1980s for use in camping and other ministries.
The pastor who led in the founding of the church, Rev. Fred Howenstein, remained its pastor for the next 22 years, pastoring part-time until his retirement from General Electric. In the autumn of 1971, the church called its second pastor, who remains its bi-vocational pastor to date.
A two-story parsonage was built for the pastorʼs family in 1974 and 1975.
The church remains in fellowship with the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches as a national association, and the Empire State association of Regular Baptist Churches. Its ministry involves local outreaches and regular teaching of the Scriptures, with a Bible School for all ages, a regional associational ministry with Moose River Baptist Youth Camp, and an international and national thrust with support of seven missionaries.